Thursday, September 07, 2006

TouchStones

I’ve been working on my list and am about to head out to drop off recyclables and a pile of bedding/clothing at the Goodwill Store, but had to share this grin that crossed my face, because I’ve written about it before. Yesterday, between applications for freelance gigs and designing a few things on the computer I shot off a few short, but heartfelt e-mails to some very, very old friends ... and I've heard back from them all!

I’m talking about the kinds of friends who had hair when we met, but don’t now. (It’s OK, he’s a guy and he’s almost 50!) I’m talking about the kinds of friends who remember the really dumb things I did in high school (like drunk barf in their car) and the really dumb things I did in college (like stumble across campus in aforementioned state alone at 2 a.m.) and yet, they love me anyway. (Please remember Hubby is in this group … he has seen me do many many many many many stupid things and still loves me anyway. S*I*G*H) They are the friends who held my hand when I was terrified I might be pregnant; when I was downtrodden because I was not; when I was moody because I was and when I was exhausted once I became a mom. These are the kinds of friends who love telling stories of my stupidity (and their own!) as long as none of our kids is around to hear our outlandish, brainless antics colorized by the prism of time. They are the friends who are always there … even when they’re in Nevada, Virginia, Texas, Chicago and I am not.

They also are the kinds of friends who are right here in my backyard, but life has us communicating electronically most of the time. And then, when we can, we sit down for a meal, lots of laughs and that feeling that you never …. EVER .... are too old to make new friends.

When all else swirls around me … when all else washes away … when the waters of time pass over me … I can sit down and rest … on the rocks, warm from the sun … the friendships that can’t be undone.


Comments:
It is wonderful to have old, old friends like that. I'm sorry to say that I have not kept in contact with any of my high school friends. Kind of sad.....oh well
 
Oh I have some of these friends too. I love it.

Thanks for sharing:)

Hugs and kisses
 
I have a few super friends like that as well. They are the most precious thing, aren't they? They've seen us at our worst, and yet they still love us.

Thanks for the reminder of how lucky we are.
 
I love you & miss you always

AKMH
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?