Thursday, July 20, 2006

WHAM! They grow up fast

Having her wish granted, she was overwhelmed by possibility.
Should she run out and wander weightless and free?
Should she scrub and vacuum and make life less dusty?
Should she offer her services with storm recovery?
Should she lounge and luxuriate, savoring long sips of coffee?
Alas, without transportation, she can’t manage one
or three.
So, house straightened, she’ll explore creativity.
Craft a little something, maybe write a story.
A day at home in silence, surprisingly lonely.
Sometimes a wish granted can make you see clearly
That little ones outgrow their noises all too quickly.

Once a year Grandma and Grandpa take the kids, each in turn, for several days at their place, about an hour away. I and the two left at home enjoy the change in dynamic while the one on vacation always comes back happy to see us. This year, Grandma and Grandpa took a different approach. Now that none travels with equipment beyond a favorite stuffed animal all three are on vacation together. (I packed clothing/toiletries. They packed important stuff, ie. aforementioned bedtime friends and toys.) And I am here alone with the dog and the cat, one of whom seems lost without the kids and one of whom is blissfully curled up on her favorite dining room chair. (This cat has little use for most people, especially those of the short, noisy variety.)

Initially I thought this would be a great time to get a lot of work done. Now the schedule is wide open. For years I’ve thought, “Gosh, if I could just get a few hours alone in this house! I could … blah blah blah …” So, here I am, two days alone and realizing, sadly, I could never make it 24 hours without speaking. The poor dog keeps getting up and coming in to me whenever I talk to myself!

Sure I could use these two days to tackle a bunch of chores beyond the basics. Or I could continue to pursue new freelance clients.

B-O-R-I-N-G!

Those things will be there at the end of August when Captain Kindergarten starts leaving me every afternoon. I’m realizing these next 12 months will be a big transition for me. I’ll be best served to work harder at writing my way through it here and in my journals, as well as exploring the other things I know how to do. So in this odd silence, which I know is a sampler platter of my next life stage, I’m feeling blue again ... a far cry from how it would have made me feel if it had happened at other points in my life.

Realizing my personal growth is an impowering thing. I think I’ll load the CD player with Broadway soundtracks and scatter scrapbooking supplies all over the dining room table. Hope I don’t wake the cat!


Comments:
Oh how I longed for days such as your're injoying with the kids gone to Grandma & Gandpa's when my children were small and I was a single mom. Most times I thought it would be noise and hustle and bustle forever. But, children grow up and marry and move into their own homes and then there is too much quiet. And now, as a Grandmother, I can't wait for the times they come to spend a night or two or just for a few hours and I miss them oh, so much when they leave! ;)
 
What a lovely post. Life is all about change and growth, and the joy we find in that process, isn't it?

Thanks for coming by my blog to say hello- I always enjoy reading your posts and I haven't brought any of my bookmarked pages to Europe, so I've missed being able to read some of my favourite blog authors.

Enjoy the remaining summer days.

Cheers,
Anne-Marie
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?