Monday, April 03, 2006

Sunday Scribblings No. 1

What would you attempt if you knew you would not fail?


If I knew I wouldn’t fail, I’d attempt to become a carpenter, to build things with my hands that could function for lifetimes. I love the smell that comes from the wood, and the power that comes from the tools and the amazement that comes from seeing pieces rise together as a single entity. My grandfather was quite gifted, creating portraits in inlaid wood; furniture; and functional items such as candlesticks and cup racks and salad bowls and tongs. If I knew I could turn the lathe and get a candlestick, I’d start turning. If I knew I could swing a hammer and hit a nail, I’d come out swinging.

If I knew it wouldn’t look like a melted marshmallow on the end of a stick I’d draw someone’s face.

I’d create art … any kind of art … without paper or a keyboard … maybe even without words.

I’d tell my mom how I feel.

I’d run onto the floor during my daughter’s gymnastics class and tumble the length of the gym.

I’d strap on ice skates and do a triple triple then reach backward, lift one foot over my head and spin until … until … until the wind created by my own whirling numbed my ears and burned my lungs.

I’d sail alone for a day, with nothing to listen to but my own thoughts and the waves, and see if I could go 24 hours without talking!


Comments:
Love your list... Hope that you find your wings and are able to soar through a few of these things
 
So many things I could say but I'll be nice!

OK OK I can't let it go by.....

24 hours of no talking, that would be a miracle! Call the pope, call the president, call someone...... it's the end of the world!!!!!!

Sorry, you lobbed the softball I'm just swinging at it.
 
Hi HoBess! Great list -- carpentry is one of those things for me, too, that if I had a dozen selves, one of my selves would be a carpenter. I'd love to have that skill -- but I know it's not something I will take the time to learn. Got to make choices or I'll get frittered away at being mediocre at a lot of different things! Thanks for participating in Scribblings! (the way your archiving is set up I didn't know how to get the link to this particular entry, so I just linked to your site. If anyone knows, let me know.)
 
Gosh, honey, I thought you were gonna' swing at the ice skating softball, but I should have known that last one was just too tasty a morsel for you to resist!

Laini--I noticed the other day my archives are set up differently from some others ... like when I linked to Carolyn's Sicky Bug it was so easy! I'll have Andy set me up tonight so that it will be easier for you next time. There's no way I'm going to miss a scribbling!
 
My partner Erich is a carpenter and it really is amazing to watch!
I love everything on your list. Tell your Mum how you feel - that´s probably the hardest one.
 
this is lovely. I never thought about carpentry - I'd like to add it my list too - maybe we could get together and build something! Imagine what we'd conure up!!
 
Hmm,
I would like to go into space, I think, but I'd be hopeless at the not-getting-sick in flight part.

Great posts, as usual.

cheers,
AM
 
"Melted marshmallow on a stick"--that's so good!

I hope that you attempt many (if not ALL) of the things on your list! And I'll bet you would find success in pursuing them (except for maybe the skating, but then again, I have no idea how flexible you are; this comment is being typed by a woman barely able to stretch down and touch her toes, and I just assume that everyone is as limited as me!).

Thank you for sharing your incredible dreams!
 
a beautiful list. imagine what you could do if you would begin. right now. yes. right now.
 
wonderful witty and wild :-)
 
If there was no chance of failure would it really be exciting?
 
hi! i loved your last entry...

sail alone for a day, with nothing to listen to but my own thoughts...

my first feeling was peacefulness. if i thought too much about it, i might be sucked into fear. but the silence, oh the silence... what a great image... feeling! I am glad you found my blog and me, yours.
 
I say start with the gymnastics thing. I'm sure you wouldn't fail at doing summersaults right?

hehe.
 
Carpentry is such powerful imagery. The smell of wood, soothing. To create something useful, how functional!

Not talking for 24 hours?...for me impossible! But could we at least write or do some art? Communicate somehow?
 
Which of these would be worth trying even if you failed?
 
Hi there and thanks for your visit!


I loved the same phrase as Cate.... and the one about telling the narrator's mom..

Nice to meet you too!


Ann Marie
 
That was a great list...especially "I would tell my mom how I feel."

And thanks for your kind comment on my blog. :)
 
Oooooh--I love carpentry too! Wouldn't it be fun to build one of a kind "Art Houses"? Houses that are unusual and beautiful and weird...

I love your list. All of it.
:)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?