Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Jellyfishing

I have always truly, truly loved Liz’s senses posts, and now her new spin on them, which keep me feeling close to what’s going on with her. I’ve found myself in a whispy mode … the kind where my posts sweep through my brain like those paint-brush clouds stroked across the October sky. Any of these things could have been a post, but they flitted from my head too quickly. And so I dare to snatch them. Some days I’m SpongeBob, happily trapping an idea and milking it for all the jelly I can get. Other days I’m Squidward with a Monty Python voice over: “Run away! Run away!” Too many ideas and not enough time to explore them. So, Liz, I apologize for stealing your style, but I’m

Admiring
all you do and the way you do it.

Planning
Too much, really. Classroom parties ate my week last week, but being there really gives me a good taste of what my kids are in each day. There will be more parties in December and February. Let the competitive momming continue!
Costumes for Halloween, which finally came together the other day with the final test of a black king-sized sheet as a Hogwarts robe.
The holidays, which will be here before I know it. Somehow, in my desire to see my brothers I’ve invited 5 people to my house for an indefinite stay. Without knowledge aforethought I found my pen scribbling menu ideas whilst eating my lunchtime salad the other day. Ugh. I’m not certain we can afford it financially, but I know we can’t afford to skip it emotionally. Kids don’t believe in Santa forever … Grandparents don’t live forever. Sunday Scribblings has me pondering time and so I know this Griswald Family Christmas is something I must do.

Savoring
The sigh of the Earth that is the relief of autumn. It was 90-something here earlier this month … summer’s last gasp. Today the ground is mushy after the rains of last night and the leaves are sticking to the pavement after finally being blown loose from the trees. I could never live anywhere with fewer than four seasons.

Reading
I’ve been working with the kids a lot. Book reports for second and third grade. Check out the Molly books by Valerie Tripp before the next American Girl movie comes out in November. Take a stab at Cowardly Clyde by Bill Peet, a fun story for boys. And remember the Sound Box series by Jane Belk Moncure as your pre-reader moves into reading. The Kindergartener also has been enjoying The Sneetches and Other Stories by the one and only Seuss. As for me, Jerusalem an Archaeological Biography by Hershel Shanks.

Learning
Karate. I’ve been taking classes now for just over two months. I can’t believe I haven’t quit yet! There is no measure of the new strength I have found just by spending these few hours a week alone in my head, in my body, forcing them to actually work together. And, bonus, my jeans are loose!

Loving
The power of this family we have built. I have watched my children stick together, support each other, (beat on each other), laugh together, (torment one another), open their arms to new friends and grow. Together the five of us can take on just about anything.

Fearing
The news. I can’t take it anymore, which is no way to deal with things. Am I to wander my days in blissful ignorance of the current state of things? I have no energy left for my anger with our “leadership.” My realization that no one is listening has robbed me of my voice. The desperation I feel when I take in current events stoops my shoulders and buckles my knees. And yet I must press on, lest they win … whoever they are … since NO ONE on any side is listening.

Wishing
I could get back on the blog horse. I’m just not doing very well at it lately, but I’ll keep trying.

Creating
A mess in my dining room! There are scrapbook supplies and half-finished pages. I finally got rid of the party supplies for the classrooms, but replaced them with craft supplies for our annual handmade gifts. It will be so much fun to dip into all of these projects and watch people as they receive them. Right now, however, it’s just a mess. The Halloween candy is on top of a cabinet where the kids can’t reach it. (Wish I couldn’t … there’s a whole bag of Twix up there!) Oh, and let’s not forget the chair at the end of the table, the only flat surface left bare. I haven’t vacuumed it in some time. It has a lovely layer of snow white kitty fur across my burgundy slip cover! Her favorite place to nap.

Watching
Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip … love it. Shark … James Woods rocks. The Amazing Race … always worth the time, if only for the scenery.

Tasting
Double-baked potato soup … yum-a-licious on a rainy fall day.

Thanking
The higher power for my many, many blessings ... which is something I often forget to do.


Comments:
Hey that has been how I feel about blog posts!

Loved catching up on what you are up to.

XOXO
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?