Monday, May 01, 2006

Sunday Scribblings: Why I Live Where I Live

These are fake journal entries, but I couldn't help comparing and contrasting these two stages of my life.

May, 1996
Friends for dinner last night, so the pictures are finally on the walls. We moved up to this apartment in January from the one-bedroom on 16 and I still can’t believe we live like this. Sure there are a few things I don’t like about it, but when you take on life in a rehabbed high rise you have to take what you can get. The fact that my uncle lived in this building when he was newly arrived from Louisville and it was the YMCA 30 years ago adds to the intrigue.

I love that we have space to spread out. I love that we have TWO bathrooms. I love that when I walk upstairs (yes, stairs in our apartment!) the first thing I see is Chicago spread out before me, the El like a lifeline and the buildings on either side like arms pulling me into the city’s chest … waiting for me to listen to its heartbeat. I love that the first thing I see when I get out of bed is the mood of Lake Michigan as it hugs Shedd Aquarium. I could watch the winter waves for hours, trying to grasp their anger. I could soak up the shades of summer blue for days, trying to submerge myself in their kiss. One thing I’ve learned living downtown, the land and the lake are one and they expand and contract with the seasons. I wish there were a way to draw the people spilling into the water each summer, and the water chasing them away every winter.

It’s going on two years since we looked at each other and said “Let’s do it.” We left that cozy Mid-Missouri comfort zone and dove into big city life. I wouldn’t change a thing. Sure we pay $1500 a month in rent. Sure we pay to park the car. Sure we pay almost $2 a load to do laundry. So what? We’ve only got one car and I haven’t driven it in almost three months! I love challenging myself to see how long I can go without driving. And the laundry room is just a few steps from my door now. I don’t even have to leave the building. And we don’t mow a lawn or shovel snow or do any of that stuff, though I wouldn’t mind some flowers on the deck.

Can't imagine what would pull me from this life ... except maybe a day job. But that's coming around in time. Last week I actually lucked into a noon-to-eight and he and I had dinner together.

May, 2006
They're out back with Eva so I have a few minutes, maybe more. I love that they’re all old enough now to stick out in the fenced backyard with the dog and know they can play to their heart’s content. I still go outside with them when they want to ride bikes on the cul-de-sac. Mr. 5 still needs reminders of the rules and the world doesn’t work the way it used to. At 8,7 and 6 my brothers and I and all our friends roamed free through sub – urbia. Can’t do that these days.

“Haven’t you ever noticed all the freaks and fruits live in the suburbs?” My New Jersey friend used to ask in a more colorful way than is fit for print. He hated going into the sub – urbs and was actually afraid of them. He was right.

But on this little tract of land, from which I must drive to get anywhere, we have three happy kids, the dog Hubby never had growing up, the flower garden I’ve always wanted and dinner together every night. On this little tract of land we have played in the sprinkler, dug in the dirt, fallen and scraped near every part of our little bodies and spent nearly every day of our lives because here, in Missouri, people can afford to live on one income and have a parent stay at home with the kids. It was an economic impossibility in Chicagoland … even in its sub – urbs. And living in the city here wouldn’t be cost effective either. Sure we could find a house for the $1500 we pay a month out here, but the schools stink. I can’t stay at home and afford private school of any kind for three kids. So, a fine district in the sub – urbs it is.

So many people I know bemoan how having kids has robbed them of one thing or another. Sure, having kids thrust some changes upon us, but we’ve never called them sacrifices. Living in the sub – urbs is tolerable when you can close your front door on it.

This time of year and Christmastime are the hardest. But the pangs for city life are irritating pinches now instead of those heart wrenching squeezes that crippled all forward motion. What we've built here is good. And when we look at what we're able to give the kids we see no reason to leave, at least not until after Mr. 5 graduates high school. Of course that could change, but the cold hard economics of the situation are these: We couldn't afford to buy this house now. The prices have changed that fast. We have three happy kids. We have each other. And no one else we know can say their housing payment is the same as it was 10 years ago! Besides, I-55 will lead us right to the Shedd's front door whenever we're ready to go.


Comments:
What a great contrast! Those photos are pretty drastically different, and both lives sound wonderful in their own ways. Wonder what you'll do in the years to come, when the kids go on to college? If you'll feel the lure of the city once again. Or maybe something completely different, like retiring and joining the Peace Corps! Ha! Who knows? Life's crazy that way. And real estate's crazy too. Our house has doubled in value since we bought it too. Makes me sad for the folks who haven't gotten their chance yet.
 
Your post remindes me of the film Family Man with Nicolas Cage and Téa Leoni.
 
Claudia, We love that movie!
 
Hmmmmm, what should I wear today?

Maybe my suburban super suit.
 
This post makes me think of acceptance. When I was preggers & Hubby was finishing school all we wanted was for him to get a job in Colorado so we could move to our "dream" state & live somewhere around Boulder. It was after 9/11, the economy was in the pits & no one was hiring computer engineers (thankfully Hewlett Packard did not offer him a job in Idaho only for him to be laid off 2 yrs later STUCK in Boise). So Hubby took the complacent job with the Army & eventaully we moved to our sub-urbs in Williamsburg which I call "The Burg". Like you, we would be hard pressed to afford our home now, we live just above a cul-de-sac & are as happy as could be in today. I love our neighborhood and with good public schools/Montessori, Erin will have a fine education. She loves coming home to play with the neighborhood kids & I can sit from our deck or front yard and watch them goofing off. It reminds me of the happy parts of my childhood & I feel comforted knowing she is making many of the same, happy, long comforting memories that I hold dear to my heart. Doesn't hurt that we are off to Busch Gardens, Water County and Colonial Wmbg whenever we get the urge. I hate to admit it, but I get more entrenched in Virginia by the day watching my daughter grow up and the goals we are accomplishing for our family. At this point, I can't think of much that would get us to move to Colorado just to start all over again. Never thought I would be able to accept living in "The South" but in our little world in The Burg are pretty darn happy.
 
What an interesting post, because it seems to me that America is divided in two: there are cities in America where the suburbs is where you go when you have money, and where the cities are decaying to the point where only the poor and disenfranchised lived there, and another America where the cities are out of reach for those wanting to afford a house there. I think you're managed to carve out a wonderful life with your family wherever you've been, and that little matters aside from that.
Here in Toronto, we're in a real estate boom and many people have reluctantly gone out of the city in order to afford decent houses for their families. The long commutes have deprived them of the time to spend with them, however, and so it's a difficult situation. I am very lucky that we bought a decent-sized condo in the recession of the early 90s, and can freely afford life in the city. Toronto is save, vibrant, and culturally diverse, and more importantly, has an amazing transit network so that everyone can get around.
I think your family is lucky that you've made it all work for you. Thanks for the contrast of lives, it was an interesting glimpse into the decisions families have to make.

Cheers,
AM
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?