Thursday, April 20, 2006

Road Improvements

The brown wreckage cried out to me
In what could only have been a Dryad's voice
Scarred earth
Felled trunk
Rootball to the sky
"Your tax dollars at work"
The sign said.
Tears came to my eyes.


Throughout his Chronicles of Narnia I truly enjoyed C.S. Lewis' descriptions of the Dryads, the woodland people connected to trees. "You could tell she was birch," he would write as he described one of the children looking at a Dryad. And then there was the scene in The Last Battle where the Dryad comes to the king and he witnesses her death as, in the distant woods, her tree is cut down. I guess it had more impact on me than I realized, because it was all I could think of as I did my Wednesday night route from karate to gymnastics and back again along a road that's being "improved."

For more Poetry Thursday, check in with Liz.

Comments:
You know what? I can't read the Narnia books - it was too sad as a child. I was terrified and saddened so many times, and it was just these sorts of parts that made me shiver as a child. I'm glad that someone else felt their power as much as I did. Thank you for sharing this!!
 
Just beyond my office door there used to be a stretch of road where at this season of the year blossoms arched high overhead across the road - there is always a pang when I think of the freeway ramp now decorated with cars.
 
wow, that was so moving. thanks for sharing.

my neighborhood is suffering the loss of a 80 year old fir tree. i have only lived in my block 3 years but I really loved that tree. I wish I had the strength of Julia Butterfly because it was butchered without a thought.
 
Lovely thoughts. A big theme of my book is the destructive nature of our species, from the perspective of other creatures, and trees are to me such magnificent, transcendent things -- to cut them down... Well, I have wood all over my house, so I'm a big hypocrite, but when I think about it in this way, it's painful. (also, thanks for your comments on my political blog earlier. Wow, that was FUN!)
 
oh i love how you have connected life and the chronicles of narnia in this way. i always think of the trees with souls too.
your tax dollars at work. yes, this does say it all.
 
Loved Narnia growing up - I read the whole series.

We have new neighbors & one Saturday we went onto the deck to find men swinging from ropes in his trees, in preparation to cut several of them down. The pines we could understand - they come down easily during hurricanes - but he was also taking down a beatufiul, huge oak. I tried to get Matt to stop him, almost in desperation. It was so hard to watch, I was in tears - it really took me by surprise. I am still angry at him to this day.

I was at our shed planting rosemary the other day and he was in his yard planting a garden where once his trees had stood - all kinds of vegetables and such. I asked if I could bring Erin over to see once everthing got going and he appeared very happy with this. Perhaps something good will come from all those poor trees that got chopped down.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?