Monday, April 24, 2006

Sunday Scribblings: Chocolate

Funny how one word sets the brain in motion. Shall I write about how I discovered this vice, having given up tobacco and beverage upon becoming pregnant? Shall I write about the amazing health benefits of a bit of dark chocolate? I love that my new vice is actually good for me! How about its history in San Francisco? In the days before refrigeration, San Francisco’s cool climate allowed for the perfect processing of chocolate. I’m fascinated by the idea of a man landing in just the perfect spot on Earth to create an empire, seeing the opportunity and seizing it. (Think Ghirardelli Square.) Or shall I write about how a fine Cabernet Sauvignon and a bar of Scharffen Berger make for a date these days? This put me on to something, so I gave myself 30 minutes and 500 words to share part of our trip last year.


We’d learned on our first trip after children that this was a precious gift, the fact that his parents were willing to move into our house for a week so we could get away. This time we would spend several days in wine country, then his conference in San Francisco. So we arrived in St. Helena after a stop in downtown Napa for lunch. We squeezed in a quick tasting before everything seemed to be closing. We weren’t too hungry, and knew we could get a complimentary bottle back at the inn, so we stopped at Dean and Deluca, where we picked up some amazing fresh bread and fruit and, after a near crippling bout with indecision upon facing the selection, some lovely cheeses. As we paid we saw it on the counter: Scharffen Berger … as featured on Food Network … as unavailable in the Midwest. Two bars, please.

At our first tasting the next day we were presented with a plate of delicacies that were to be taken with certain wines. I saw the lovely English Bleu Cheese and just knew Hubby wouldn’t taste it. Then I saw the chocolate and thought: “Oh! I just don’t understand how chocolate and wine could possibly be good together. How do I graciously get out of this?”

Conversation, education and two tastes later, Hubby bit into the bleu. I was stunned! “OK,” I thought, “This IS all about adventure, isn’t it?”

So when the time came I took the chocolate with the suggested vintage. It was one of those movie moments where … if it had a soundtrack … Handel’s Messiah would have rang out. What glorious surprise, what gracious simplicity, what grand complexity, what heaven on Earth this combination of quality chocolate and big booming Cabernet Sauvignon. (Let’s be honest: A Hershey bar just can’t be beat when you’re a kid. And, to this day, I simply must have several s’mores every summer. But I’m not 8 anymore, and there are times when the chocoholic in me needs more. I had found it at last.)

The toughest thing about a vacation is that it must end. You simply must return to your real life. (Ha!) But food and photos help me make it last. His parents (oenophiles in their own right) had dutifully signed for all the wine we shipped home and stacked it in our dining room. And on my second-to-last day in San Francisco I meandered through the Financial District to another food Mecca, The Ferry Building Marketplace. I found several non-Midwestern delicacies for breakfast and then, after marveling at the mushroom stall ($400 per ounce for certain dried varieties!) I heard Handel again … a whole stall of Scharffen Berger! I cradled my Nibby Bars in the carry-on all the way home. And so, after the kids are in bed on a Friday night, it’s a big Cab and a Nibby Bar and our Midwestern family room becomes a Napa Valley bed and breakfast.


Comments:
Love it! Sounds like such a wonderful trip, the two of you savoring your sophisticated grown-up moments with such delight, and making new discoveries! I tried cabernet fudge recently in a gourmet shop in southern Oregon, and it was lovely. Yes, chocolate and wine CAN go well together! But that doesn't surprise me at all.
 
Mmm, I'm getting hungry and nostalgic just reading your post.

My favourite palce in Napa is the V. Sattui winery. Free tastings, a great side deli with all sorts of cheeses and baguettes, and a wonderful lawn for a picnic with a great merlot or zinfandel. I'm going back in August, and I'll retrace my own steps and also walk in yours.

Cheers,
AM
 
A-a-a-h-h-h Ghiradelli Square, the ferry building - you speak of the places where we used to roam - sigh
My husband grew up in the Napa Valley, one of my children was born there. I can picture your journey - how beautiful in the spring!
 
Wonderful scribblings! Sometimes I think the only good news since 2000 is that dark chocolate is so good for you!
 
Your post brought back so many lovely memories of chocolate in San Fran and Napa (and Sonoma, where the Viansa winery has some amazing wines and chocolates). Thanks for sharing your lovely experiences!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?