Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Imagination gone awry

“Our secret ingredient?” Insert tension-building pause here. “IMAGINATION!” Can’t you just see The Chairman tearing the cloth away with that martial-artsy flair he uses each episode of Iron Chef America? Well downtime last night was quite productive as the kids broke out the clay and all the plastic dishes I would allow. They created their own Iron Chef competition (complete with interviews and commentary) and hubby and I “judged” their creations before we ate our real dinner. Of course it was the first three-way tie in Kitchen Stadium history!

Dinner segued to homework and some family reading time. All in all it was great night. Then it happened. Mr. 6 got caught putting his imagination to bad use: He tried to cover up a note from his teacher about a teensy-weensy (not kidding no-big-deal) incident at school. why? Why? WHY as humans must we go through this process of learning that lying really is just too much work?

I remember the bust that really brought it home for me. I was about 12 and had forged my mother’s signature in a similar case … caught cursing on the Catholic playground I was to write down what I said and have her sign it so I could give it to the principal ... yup ... a nun. Anyway, what happened at school was not as big a deal as lying was. So we had to deliver this message to Mr. 6 and I had all those same feelings in my stomach that I used to have when I got in trouble myself. I hate having to teach these tough lessons of life. Lessons such as:

*Just because her parents let her do it doesn’t mean I’ll let you do it;
*Lying is worse than touching stuff on the walls in the hallway at school;
*It takes a stronger person to walk away than it does to strike a blow;
*Sometimes you have to stay and fight, you can’t walk away;
*That rotten feeling in the pit of your stomach is far harsher punishment than I could ever dole out, but I have to punish you anyway.

It’s in the postgame that I realize – as awful as it was for all of us – we handled it OK. He went to bed knowing he was in trouble, but also knowing that we love him. I went to bed knowing he understood these things, but wondering when he’d lie again. He’s a kid. There are envelopes to push. Even the good kids push them. We haven’t even hit the smoking, drinking, sexing years. So I’m going to start asking for advice now. What did you lie about as a kid and what happened when you got caught?


Comments:
I lied about all the things kids lie about....trying to stay out of trouble! You know, "no, I didn't say/do that"; "It wasn't me"; etc. My parents tried several different things: spanking, soap in the mouth. The thing that worked the best and finally cured me from telling any more lies was the lecture they gave me. You know the one, where they tell you how much you have disappointed them by not trusting them enough to share the truth with them and how when you don't trust someone you can't be trusted in return....all the stuff to make a kid feel really awful for hurting their parents like that! Sure worked for me!
 
I lied about heaps of things! My parents had a totally different attitude to mine and I felt that there were so many things I couldn´t tell them because they would judge me harshly and lock me up. "No Mum, that´s not a love bite, it´s a rash!"..."Damien (my boyfriend back then) is having some trouble with his parents so we talked in the car for hours and didn´t notice how late it was!"(I was 17, see my beans post! I will definately try to be more understanding and observant about my kids and what their friends are up to. My parents had rules and no amount of talking could budge them so I had to lie to be able to go out to a party or stay out late sometimes. I will not have my children lie to me either and I tell them all the time that they should never be afraid to tell me anything, if it´s about something at school they know that I will stand by them.I also worry what lies ahead during the smoking, drinking, sexing years though. Maybe your son just wasn´t sure about how you would react.
 
I prefer to call what I did Stretching the Truth or Creative Reasoning.
 
I lied to stay out of trouble, always got caught, eventually realised most smart adults are smarter than smart kids, and now implement that attitude as a teacher with the kids who lie to me. :) Life is a full circle, isn't it? We all come out mostly alright in the end, liars and all. You did a fine job handling it, sounds like. And I'm not lying when I say that. :)

Cheers,
AM
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?