Wednesday, March 01, 2006

The Van Gogh Cafe

There’s something magical to me about people who publish books for children. When an adult can so readily connect with that younger person inside and carry a message to the young people who pick up the book, it’s nothing short of magic. Watching a pre-schooler flip through any one book over and over and OVER again is such a beautiful thing.

I couldn’t stop thinking about Alexandra when I read this book.

So, I wanted to share The Van Gogh Café and Cynthia Rylant. She is one of my oldest son’s favorite authors. Being that he’s only in first grade, he sticks mostly to her Henry and Mudge series. They are a lot of fun because Henry enjoys many of the same things my son does, especially being with his dog. But Rylant, who was a children’s librarian before she became an author, has a special gift. She’s written more than 50 books for a wide age range. I left the library last week with more “picks” than the 4-year-old, and one of them was this Rylant book, which can be found in the juvenile fiction section.

One thing I’ve discovered in the almost eight years I’ve been reading to (and now with) these kids of mine is this: A truly good children’s story is really just a great story. A chord is struck each time you listen to it … but the same chord is rarely struck twice.

So between Alexandra’s posts about expecting magic and the way Rylant’s Clara and Marc waltz with magic daily in this book I’m looking at things through different eyes.

I remember feeling funny after reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, awestruck by the idea of the magical and the muggles … wondering what element of truth lies in the assumption that magic is all around us, it’s just that some people can’t see it; can’t accept it; can’t do it.

Magic is all around us, if we try to see it. I don’t need the Weather Channel’s scientists to tell me the wonders of a 70-degree day today. It’s a gift.

And then there’s the magic of finding more than you expected. Right about the time Claudia was asking whether constantly redecorating was a way of expressing restlessness I found Rylant’s autobiography ( Best Wishes ) from 1992:

“I’m always changing something in my house,” Rylant wrote. “My friends think it’s funny. Every time they come over, something’s different. I tell them I’m releasing creative energy when I move the furniture around. Really I’m just having fun.”

On the next visit to the library I discovered Old Town in the Green Groves a gap Rylant filled in the Little House books … a two-year blank left by Laura Ingalls Wilder between On the Banks of Plum Creek and By The Shores of Silver Lake. When I checked it out, I didn’t even realize Rylant had written it. I’m revisiting my precious, yellowed paperback Wilder collection, which has my name written on it in my grandfather’s hand. And, after Plum Creek I’ll dive into Rylant and then go back and finish the collection. I’ll let you know how it goes when I’m done.


Comments:
Hi there - all of this connecting and blogging has been REopening my eyes too. It's nice to meet people who are okay with other people's magic and feelings. When I get home I am planning on reading my little house books again - magic!
 
That was a very popular TV show when I was in elementary school. I just loved it and so I read all the books. When I was about 9 my grandparents gave me this boxed set of the paperbacks and Grandpa (an engineer back in the days when engineers drew on paper) printed my full name across the top of the box. Inside each book I wrote my own name so I could take them to school. It's funny to see my own handwriting from third grade! They are a treasure to me. Which one is your favorite?
 
I'll have to check out Cynthia Rylant -- what would you recommend especially, that will be good for a grown-up reader? I read a lot of kid's books, but tend to prefer the more sophistocated end of the spectrum. Do your kids read the Moomintroll books? I wouldn't say these are super-sophistocated but there's something very magical about them and very unique. They're by the Finnish writer Tove Jansson, if you're not familiar.
 
Thankyou!Thankyou!THankyou! The comment you left on my blog when I wrote about my moving furniture around and this quote have given me a whole new perspective! I feel like it´s something wonderful and fun now rather than something to worry about.
 
I am so intrigued by this post and checking out this author. I felt the same way reading Harry Potter. I will have to check Rylant out at the library. You also have a gift of connecting your posts to other bloggers which is so wonderful to see...
Happy weekend!
 
hi again!! I think my fav. was Little House in the Big Woods (but the part where Laura was physically punnished by her Pa freaked me out a lot!) I can't remember them very well now. I DO need to reread them again. I remember loving the one where they make the house of sod but I don't know which one it was.
 
Hi there! I've missed you! Any post about children's books I am in for. I've been meaning to ask you how goes the children's book writing. Do you think you might be able to go to the SCBWI conference this summer in LA? I'm hoping so!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?