Tuesday, March 06, 2007

baby no more

With you spilling out of my lap this morning I realized how truly numbered these days are. Gone already are the times of listening to you coo in the baby monitor. Gone already are the days of your regular 3 a.m. crawl into my bed. Gone already are the morning snuggles. You turned 6 Saturday, en route to the autonomy that will be yours this fall when you go to school all day long.

With you spilling out of my lap this morning I put my nose in your hair and drew in a long breath. Yes, you still have that clean smell of a little little boy, not that sweaty, outside combination of a young boy and his dog.

With you spilling out of my lap, I wrapped my arms around you tighter and you turned so your cheek was on mine. Those big brown eyes soon stared up at me as though I were the most amazing woman on Earth and I said: “I love you.” And you kissed my nose and slid from my lap and were gone.

How truly numbered these days are.

“Mommy, can you help me?”

Yes. Let’s build some Legos.


Comments:
Too soon they are grown and gone! My baby will turn 34 in a couple of months and I can remember as if it were yesterday the scene you describe! Hugs
 
beautiful words. just beautiful.
 
Yes, beautiful words. I know the feeling well now that 2 of my boys are already taller than me and the third is fast catching up.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?