Friday, June 02, 2006

Weeding things out

Note: This is a Google image ... daylily Chicago Apache. Mine should be blooming soon!

Such awesome power. I don’t know why I think that every time I pull a weed, but I do.

I have two small flower beds, one devoted to day lilies, the other holds three dwarf Spruce and some mums. Both, of course, get weeds.

I’ve learned two important lessons: Weeds go from an inch high to a foot high over night. Whatever you see above ground is about the length of the tap root you’ll find beneath. Grrrrr. Letting those weeds get away from me my first spring as a homeowner made me diligent. I snip, pick, twist, pluck every morning this time of year so that the unpleasant job takes less than five minutes rather than several hours of wrestling Mother Nature. She’s slick. She’s quick. She’s experienced and I am an unworthy opponent. Except when I have to really dig for one of those roots and the beetles and occasional earth worm are sent scurrying. One flash in time and their whole world is topsy turvy. Sometimes I can’t help but stop and stare, like when a kid really looks at her first ant hill.

Their world uprooted they get to work, each creature knowing what to do to get life back to normal. “I couldn’t help but wonder,” did humans work together that well before money and politics? I always move some mulch over the open sores in my garden floor, but today I congratulated the beetles and worms on their “failure to evolve.”


Comments:
Are your lilies close to blooming? Mine only have very small buds on some of them. I love lilies!!
 
You have to admire the tenacity of weeds. :)

Isn't this a great time of year with all the flowers blooming? My favourites are tiger lillies and any variety of irises.

Cheers,
AM
 
Love this! We bit the bullet and finally did the massive weeding yesterday. I wanted to run inside for my camera and take a picture of one astonishingly huge weed, but I didn't want to track dirt into the house. I was weirdly proud of that weed! I've always loved this quote: "Make no mistake, the weeds will win. Nature always bats last."
 
Your illustration is powerful --- I am going to go pull some little weeds ;-)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?