Saturday, January 28, 2006

Challenger

We had some time after lunch and decided to stop by Mr. Queen’s room. He was the drama teacher back then at Tulsa Memorial High School and I was an extra for the play … I think we were doing Our Town, of all things. Any way, his classroom was where I was when I heard the Challenger had exploded. The rest of the day has faded from the memory banks, except for watching CNN with my brothers after school while stuffing our faces. (As teenagers my brothers could split a pizza at 3 p.m. and eat dinner at 7. And they never, never watched CNN.) About an hour of it and I couldn’t take any more. They weren’t telling me anything new.

Maybe that’s when the journalist in me truly started breaking free. I wanted better information. By the time the next “flashbulb memory” hit I was in a newsroom … the Berlin wall was coming down, O.J. was on the run, the Murrah victims were scrambling toward safety, Columbine’s kids were sacrificed. Finally I moved to sports so I could remember things such as the Bulls winning 70 games in one season and the Packers going back to the Super Bowl. Harding and Kerrigan and minutiae that passes the time without marking the soul.

I was at home with my very young children the day the Towers fell. I clearly remember the then-3-year-old noticing when planes returned to the sky. She doesn’t remember that now. I’m thankful they don’t have any “flashbulb memories” yet.

So, as a teller of stories both fictional and real, I found the St. Louis Post-Dispatch’s approach to the Challenger anniversary interesting. They actually were telling me something in a new way. And I wondered how much of my memory was real, and how big a trick my memory might be playing on me. They came back today with another interesting way of marking the anniversary.

Where were you that day in ’86?


Comments:
I was 14 years old and at home actually. I think I was home sick, and I remember thinking what I just saw can't possibly be real. And then imagining their families, and my mom coming home from whereever she had been, and just hugging her and crying, and praying for nothing to take her away from me.
We're so blessed to be here, to be living in the same world with people like them who have existed in our lifespan and we can live on and be inspired to live as fully as they did.
 
Do you remember watching the service with Pres. Reagan? I remember just sitting there with tears running down my face feeling helpless. Sometimes, though, I think we're supposed to just sit and feel and maybe we don't do that enough. The emotions of those days were so intense, and making positive things out of such sadness is an inspiration. You're right, those people (and the explorers who have followed them in so many different areas of our modern life) are a blessing to be thankful for.
 
Hi Hobess,
let me know how your cookies turn out- show a picture if you can!
I REMEMBER Exactly where I was the day the Challenger fell out of the sky.
I had to leave work early after having a low blood sugar episode .
Pregnant. weak and nauseous, I watched. sipping my orange, juice as the metal broke into fragments-fireball, then downfall.
What does it feel like to fall out of the sky? They cant be dead!- there is a teacher among them. Do space suits have parachutes? O my God her students are watching this!
When it was announced there were no survivors, I prayed that the force of the explosion was so quick, that they had no awareness of what happened to them.
P.S. I did find information on the mural artist. you can read and respond in comments under the pics of his work.
Namaste,
MB
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?