Monday, January 23, 2006

Trying harder

Today's the day I start trying harder at this blog thing. My new goals are to share Boo and Bunny and learn more about writing for children. Besides picture books, I'd also like to learn more about creating characters that are interesting for boys and books that are appropriate for accelerated readers. Just because a 7-year-old can read at a fifth-grade level doesn't make them ready for tween themes.

But, first, some unfinished business. My only trip to New Orleans was in 2003 and I fell in love. Loving to cook (and eat) had a huge role in this. Loving history and architecture also played a part. Since the storms I've wanted to do what I could from my Midwest Outpost. Supporting their businesses by buying my favorite products online is the best thing I could come up with. So here are some of my favorites (that are back up and running). More as they re-appear. Laissez les bonnes temps rouler!

www.cafedumonde.com
The home of beignet and coffee across from Jackson square. Order merchandise, beignet mix and coffee online now.

www.auntsallys.com
The home of the best-known pralines in New Orleans. Order online now.

www.nosoc.com
The New Orleans School of Cooking and Louisiana General store will re-open on St. Louis Street in the French Quarter on March 8. Order spices, etc. online now.

www.patobriens.com
The home of the Hurricane, they were only inspired by the events of last August, creating the new Category 5, which I can only imagine is even more potent than the original drink. Order merchandise (and drink mixes) online.

www.abita.com
Beer from the bayou. (Learn here if you can buy it near you.) And a link to help raise restoration funds.

Comments:
Looking Mrs. Kotter!
 
May I add Gambinos Bakery? My mother is from New Orleans and we have been loving their dobeierge cakes for years! You have never tasted ANYthing so delicious in your life-trust me- they ship overnight actually so if you have a special occasion coming up, DO order from them- simply amazing. (I love the half lemon-half chocolate!)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?